Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Jigs and Kilts

True, I'm in England, but I can't help but re-live Ireland, and all 9 hours that I spent there. One of the funny things about traveling to a country whose language you (supposedly) speak natively is that you forget that there are different words for different things. Take "que" (or is it "cue"?) as an example. In America, we "line up" for things, but when I asked a group of 5 or 6 pleasant-looking thirty-something Irish men "are you in line?", they looked at me, smiled from ear to ear and said, almost incomprehensibly, "Nooooow, we ahn't een keelts, now, aah we, nun uv us?"
Then they laughed... goodheartedly, I might add, and not at my expense at all.
I hope they were referring to the Irish Jig or something like that. Lines. Kilts..... ?

2 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

It's a 'q' queue!

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe line = lineage. e.g.:

Svenska: "Are you in line? I.e., are you wearing your traditional Irish garb indicative of your particular lineages?"
Irish (translated, lol): "No, we're not wearing our kilts you silly lady!"

Who knows? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home